Monday, November 17, 2014

New Balance Power Run 2014

This year's New Balance Power Run marks my second time running this unique distance - 25 KM. I have been joining this event since 2012. From 5k in 2012 all the way to 25k the following year, and another 25k this year; and it never fails to challenge me.

See screenshot below as a testament that I've grown stronger over the years. And no, I am not fast, I've never been fast, and I know that. But the screenshot will show you that through hard work and dedication yada, yada, yada. You know the rest.


Enough drama already. Although, I thought I could not run this year's NB event despite registering really early. A lot had happened to me this past month, and only until the night before the event I had decided to run this race. I had 4 KM mileage 2 weeks before this event, and less than 30km/week a month before. Seriously. I had given up already. I was even looking for someone who would want to purchase my race bib 2 days before the event. That's how pathetic I was. After eveything the sport has given me, I almost ended up quitting. No, that's not what it taught me. Holy crap, I said enough drama already.

So back to the real topic. I had convinced myself to do a 3:1 interval, and promised myself to religiously follow it no matter what, as it is the only way I'd finish the race alive. I made sure I had enough sleep on Friday night (I think I've clocked more than 8 hours of sleep, so yes, I was mentally refreshed). I had 4 hours of sleep the night before, but didn't care as I am used to have little to no sleep during events.

I've arrived 10 or 15 minutes before gun start. The crowd was already gathered. I had to meet up with Eva to give her the camera. After checking in my bag, eating a pack of energy gel and gulping a few more ounces of water, I made it at the corral 2 minutes before gun time. With no warm-ups and stretching, I rode the waves of runners. Off we go! Boo!

3:1! I could barely hear my watch beep. I was so paranoid that I had to look at it almost every minute. I maintained a pace of 8:14/km for the first two kilometers. It served as my warm-up then had slowly increased my pace after KM 2, averaging 7:00-ish/km. I had programmed my mind to finish 21K only. Did I mention it started drizzling a few minutes after they had fired the gun? Holy sh*t! It was the best thing that happened to me that day! I had hoped something miraculous would happen, something like, finish first overall, or find a thousand peso while en route, but no, it rained! Far better than the first two mentioned. I'm kidding. I would love to finish first, of course. Needless to say, I was far from dehydrated all throughout the race because of it.

I caught up with Eva at KM 16. I was happy when she uttered the words, "Naka-PR... static...16k.. static.. less than 2 hours." I didn't understand her completely but I know it was something worth telling as she really hates talking while running. In this case, it was like hearing your first child's first word. I was happy for her for breaking another barrier. She had managed to set a new PR for 21k as well. Talk about hitting two birds with one stone. Anyhoo, she's on 4:1 interval so we only got to chat a few minutes.

Somewhere between KM 19 and KM 21.
Thank you, RP for the photo!

Honestly, I have set a last-minute goal to either cross the finish line beside her, or finish ahead of her. I know it's kind of impossible as she regularly trains, and her base mileage is firm. So I struggled to catch up and keep up with her. But due to non-stop rain, I've managed to keep-up with her until the end. Thank you, Rain! Although my plan to break my 21K PR didn't happen, I'm still thankful and blessed to have finished this race. The time was 2:35:04 when I reached the 21k mark. It was 2 minutes shy from breaking my PR. Sayang! By then, I've started slowing down as my mind was conditioned to run 21k only. So I walked and waited for Eva to catch up. We got separated again by the time we reached the KM24 marker. She went ahead of me so she could record a decent finish time. Shortly after, I've felt the surge to pick the pace up and caught up with Eva.

Almost at the finish line. Thank you, Running Photographers!
 
 
The race was perferctly organized; baggage check-in and claiming, hydration was overflowing and sponges were sufficient, there were plenty of Bananas, too. So yes, as expected from Runrio races, this event was perfect as always.

 
Lastly, I never expected to break my PR for this event. But God is good, and constantly hears my prayers. So I wanna thank Him for giving me courage before the race and guiding me during. I will have my redemption and beat the sub-3 challenge for this distance next year. Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment