Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Bull Runner Dream Marathon 2014: The Path to Greatness (Part 1)

Event: The Bull Runner Dream Marathon 2014
Distance: 42.195 KM
Date: 16-Feb-2014

Pre-Race Experience

Preparation/Training:
I was one of the 800 lucky participants who had successfully reserved a slot for The Bull Runner Dream Marathon 2014 since the slots were filled less than an hour after they've officially launched the registration (same thing happened last TBRDM 2013). I have initially planned to run my first marathon with some of my PRC friends, so, as the opening of registration nears, I have contacted and asked them if they want to run their first marathon at TBRDM.  We were able to secure slots and pay the registration fee before the time period expired. I was so excited and anticipated so much fun since I have my friends to train with for the span of 6 months.


This e-mail is going to change your life forever.
Believe me, it changed mine.

As weeks passed by, I haven't heard anything from them, I didn't know if they were already training or had started training at all. I kept asking them if they wanted to do our LSDs during weekends, but only lame excuses came out of their mouths. LOL! Good thing Kay (fellow PEXer and TBR batchmate) was there to attend most of our Bull Sessions (we only missed the first session, yay!). She was the only one who never failed to affirm whenever it was time to train in Nuvali.

You see, the only thing you need to ask yourself before deciding to run a marathon is, "WILL/CAN I commit myself to it?". If your answer is no, then go back to being an ordinary person. Don't sign up just because your friend/boyfriend/girlfriend/neighbor is running, or it was the spur of the moment that made you decide to register; sign up if you know deep down that you're ready to commit and religiously train for it.  Running a marathon is NOT A JOKE. RESPECT the distance. This is not your ordinary race. You will invest so much in this. For me, the most difficult part in running a marathon is the preparation and training. You have to prepare for it. You cannot cheat it. You have to sacrifice most of your Friday and Saturday nights, after office food trips or coffee dates with your colleagues in exchange for weekday maintenance runs, cross-trainings and early weekend long runs. But for me, I never thought of it as something that would drive me out of my social life. I still have friends who run, friends who go to the gym (for cross-training), and most especially, my hubby (who, luckily, is also a runner). She was my marathon training buddy as she practically ran with me during LSDs and maintenance runs. She was always there to support me before, during and after the marathon period. Thank you, Love!!

To be honest, I wasn't 100% ready. I've missed some of my long runs, my mileage was poorly logged after the holidays and personal problems came knocking on my door which my attention was urgently heeded. I was on a 2-week hiatus mode 6 weeks before the event due to being horribly sick. I was devastated when my doctor told me that I might go into surgery. It came to a point where I thought I couldn't run anymore. But God heard my prayers, He knows that this marathon is so important to me that he made sure I would run it. So here I am now, a certified marathoner!

The Bull Runner Dream Marathon is not your usual marathon event. Only first (or second) time marathoners are allowed to participate. The package comes with a 22-week training program that promotes the Galloway Method (Run/Walk method) specifically caters to newbie runners. Read more about TBRDM and 15 Reasons to Run TBR Dream Marathon

Here are some photos from The Bull Circle and Bull Sessions


Welcome Kit Claiming and First Bull Circle with Sab
Bull Session in Nuvali (2 hours and 30 minutes run) 
with Kay (left) and Sab (middle)
Last Bull Session in Nuvali (3 hours and 30 minutes run)

No comments:

Post a Comment